Join Our Team
Garnet Instruments Ltd, manufactures gauges and digital instrumentation systems to measure liquid levels for transport tanks, storage tanks, recreational vehicle (RV) storage tanks and additional specialized system applications. Garnet Instruments has experienced over 25 years of success in the gauging industry.
Select the job title to view more details of each position.
Edmonton, AB, Canada
About the Company
Garnet Instruments Ltd. designs, manufactures and markets electronic gauges and digital instrumentation systems to measure liquid levels for transport tanks, storage tanks, recreational vehicle (RV) storage tanks and additional specialized system applications. Garnet Instruments is a unique Alberta company engaging in sophisticated electronic design, fully automated electronic assembly, and customer-centric servicing, marketing and sales. Garnet Instruments has experienced over 25 years of success in the gauging industry.
The Senior Hardware Engineer will develop electronic hardware and firmware designs for future company products, as well as assist in the support and upgrading of existing products. As part of this responsibility, the Engineer will work with: sales and marketing to finalize product features, operations to launch new designs into production, and with finance to track expenses and product costing. This position will include assisting in the evaluation of new product opportunities and the determination of the viability of potential new product designs. All work will be done in accordance with industry best practices and in compliance with internal standards, timelines, and budgets.
Education & Qualifications
- Graduate of a recognized university with a bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering discipline or equivalent.
- Professional Engineering designation or eligibility for registration with APEGA.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in electronic analog and/or digital circuit design. Embedded firmware design experience a definite asset.
- Take a senior role in the development of product ideas from concept to completion.
- Assist in the development of product architectures.
- Assist in the partitioning of these architectures into design modules for either further development or assignment to other engineers or contractors.
- Design digital and analog electronic hardware. This may include ultra low power battery operated circuitry, precision analog circuitry, embedded microprocessors, display device interfaces, I/O modules and interfaces, industry-standard communications interfaces, and associated digital and analog circuitry.
- As part of this design, engage in schematic capture and PCB layout in Altium. This includes maintaining parts libraries and evaluating any upgrade needs in the application software.
- At a minimum, these designs must be done with a strong consideration to the needs of the embedded firmware development. Optimally, the candidate will be able to do both the hardware design and write the embedded firmware.
- Work with the software team to help define the interfaces and requirements of associated PC, cloud-based, or mobile applications.
- Assist in the generation and assembly of prototype designs.
- Test and troubleshoot these designs.
- Evaluate and ensure the manufacturability of these designs considering the company’s present and potential future manufacturing capabilities.
- Assist in the launching of these designs into manufacturing. This may include the preparation of PCB and automated manufacturing files, the generation of test procedures and test fixtures, the generation of all documentation related to assembly, troubleshooting, testing, servicing, and operation, and working with purchasing to ensure the availability of all components used in the design.
- Work with other departments to assist in the design of enclosures, labeling, mechanical components, certification, and packaging of products.
- In addition to the development of new products, the candidate may also assist in the maintenance, upgrading, or feature addition to existing and legacy products.
- Maintain expertise in new and current technology as it relates to company products and associated input components. This may also require familiarity with certification and legislative requirements.
- Assist more junior engineers in their associated responsibilities.
- Perform all these responsibilities in accordance with industry best practices, in accordance with required timelines and budgets, and in accordance with stage-gate evaluation and reporting needs.
- Potentially meet with customers to assist in the explanation of product features, the development of product requirements, and to troubleshoot problems encountered in the field.
Skills & Knowledge
- Must be a team player and be able to work with the rest of the engineering team, as well as other departments in the company. Must be cooperative and able to contribute to the overall well-being of the company.
- Good English oral and written communication skills required.
- Low-speed precision analog and digital circuit design skills required.
- Familiarity with Schematic Capture and PCB layout software, direct experience with Altium a definite asset.
- Familiarity with embedded programming, direct experience with PIC processors a definite asset. Experience with legacy Freescale processors would also be an asset.
- Experience with industrial serial and CAN communications a definite asset.
- Familiarity with standard PC based office software applications. Familiarity with graphic design (Adobe, Corel) programs an asset.